Author Topic: PSX game music  (Read 17913 times)

Swiftman

• Conqueror
    • View Profile
PSX game music
« on: March 16, 2005, 06:18:07 pm »
When you did the psx games, did you record them directly or just use a program to rip the songs off it? If you used a ripping program, I'd love to see it.

protoman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • TPH
PSX game music
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 08:06:40 am »
i used the package called psxvideo.

the catch is, that in order to get the dang things off the disc, you need true dos, not emulated dos under windows nt, so you need windows 3.1, windows 95, windows 98 or windows me in order to use xaex.exe. that will probably be the hardest part of using the tools today. the rest is pretty simple.

Swiftman

• Conqueror
    • View Profile
PSX game music
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2005, 12:33:42 pm »
Wow. I have my old dos computer still. I put windows 3.1 on it so i didn't have to manage the XMS and EMS memory automatically. That computer has a cd drive and everything. Plus, I have a newer win 98 computer.
As you can probably tell, I'm big on DOS.

Thanks, Protoman! Now I can make my ff 7 soundtrack (maybe)

neothe0ne

• View Profile
PSX game music
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2005, 04:08:34 pm »
No, you can't.  Final Fantasy 7 does not store it's music in streamed XA format.  All the songs in Final Fantasy 7 are sequenced, so don't try ripping it.

Check out sites like www.ngemu.com in the PlayStation section for more XA/STR tools (but they still won't rip your FF7 sequenced music)
agerly anticipating:
Super Smash Bros. Revolution, Metroid Prime 3, Zelda: Twilight Princess, and last but not least, DDR SuperNOVA!

protoman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • TPH
PSX game music
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2005, 09:40:58 pm »
lol. first psx game i've heard of that didn't use xa.

neothe0ne

• View Profile
PSX game music
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2005, 02:41:43 pm »
http://www.zophar.net/psf/

EVERY game listed there has at least one song that does not use XA (wave files) and instead plays off the PlayStation synth (sequenced).  Final Fantasy V, VI (not ripped), Chrono Trigger (not ripped), and Final Fantasy VII are probably the ONLY PlayStation games that are entirely made of sequenced/synth songs.

Yeah, and welcome to the world of emulated music ;)
agerly anticipating:
Super Smash Bros. Revolution, Metroid Prime 3, Zelda: Twilight Princess, and last but not least, DDR SuperNOVA!

Swiftman

• Conqueror
    • View Profile
PSX game music
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2005, 05:30:52 pm »
Yeah, I got the PSF's for ff7. I wanna play them on my CD player though.
Do any of the other psx ff's work like ff7, where you can't rip the songs off of them? Like, ff tactics?

neothe0ne

• View Profile
PSX game music
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2005, 06:12:03 pm »
Yes, FF Tactics is mostly sequenced.  There are a few streamed/XA songs, but only a few.  Squaresoft tends to make the opening and ending songs streamed, a few in between streamed, and the rest sequenced in all their (newer) games.

Anyways, to convert PSFs to WAVs, thus being able to burn to CDs:  open WinAmp, go to Preferences, select Input, select Disk Writer, and set the path.  Now go to the playlist, take off shuffle and repeat, and start playing the first one.

And please don't try to say you line-in recorded them.  ;)  I can tell the difference fairly quickly between a line-in recording and a Wave-out PSF :)
agerly anticipating: