Author Topic: Down with eBaums!  (Read 8178 times)

Pirate Cortez

• View Profile
Down with eBaums!
« on: November 05, 2005, 06:18:55 am »
Bah, I have nothing to say, so here's what Ivyna J. Spyder of Rainbow Resort (who wanted to "spread the word", and so, I am spreading the word.)

Some of you I'm sure know about the site ebaumsworld.com Lots of 'funny' videos and images and such.

Harmless? Hell no. The guy who runs it steals almost all his content.

He removes watermarks from images and claims credit for them.

He decompiles flash animations and removes any credit to the original creator.

And he profits from this. And the people who actually MADE the things on his site get nothing. This is plaguerism, pure and simple, and this guy is profiting by doing something illegal. Unfortunately, laws just aren't as effective on the Internet.

Emails to get your stolen work removed- or to get credit- are completely ignored. Try posting about it on his forums- your topic will be deleted and your account banned.

Recently, people over at the SomethingAwful.com forums were trying once again to contact his ISP and such, and posting on the forums to get things copyrighted to SomethingAwful removed from eBaums, as they were of course used there without permission.

And what did eBaum do? He added a bit of malicious code to his website- one that, whenever his site loaded, it tried loading things off of SomethingAwful's servers. This increases SA's bandwidth and costs money to the one who runs it, Lowtax.

Thankfully our coders are far more resourceful and they fended off the attack. But still, wtf. We're seeing if there's any way to pursue legal action, but as it wasn't anything as obvious as a virus it's tricky.

This is absolutely DISGUSTING that people are having their work stolen by this piece of sh*t so he can rake in money from advertising revenue.

So spread the word that ebaumsworld is a horrible website run by a greedy, lying thief. >=(
eft.

Superyoshi

• Guidance System
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://superyoshi.sheezyart.com
Down with eBaums!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2005, 08:21:53 am »
This has been known for years, at least by me.  Besides the SA thing I mean.  That's just low.

Swiftman

• Conqueror
    • View Profile
Down with eBaums!
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2005, 09:44:16 am »
Luckily I don't go to Ebaums.... Or Something Awful.... But it's good stuff to know, I guess.

Superyoshi

• Guidance System
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Down with eBaums!
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2005, 10:09:32 am »
Quote from: "Swiftman"
Luckily I don't go to Ebaums.... Or Something Awful.... But it's good stuff to know, I guess.

No, Something Awful is definitley a great site.

Lazlo Falconi

• Falconi?
    • View Profile
    • website
Down with eBaums!
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2005, 10:10:55 am »
I used to go to eBaums, but then I found other sites that get content a lot faster than he does. Since then I've stopped going there because I really hate all the ads on his site.
Soon to be a major motion picture!

qualityretro.net

Swiftman

• Conqueror
    • View Profile
Down with eBaums!
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2005, 10:10:59 am »
Then how come when I went there it was..... Something Awful? *can't really remember*

Lazlo Falconi

• Falconi?
    • View Profile
    • website
Down with eBaums!
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2005, 10:13:19 am »
Something Aweful is one of the best websites ever.

qualityretro.net

Superyoshi

• Guidance System
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Down with eBaums!
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2005, 10:14:00 am »
Quote from: "Swiftman"
Then how come when I went there it was..... Something Awful? *can't really remember*

Something Awful has always been one of my favorite sites.  Photoshop Phriday is hilarious and The Flash Tub is amzing.  Shmorky is hilarious and a damn good FBF-er.

And now that I mention him...yes, Ebaums World did steal one of Shmorky's older movies.  The Pharmacy cartoon there was indeed made by him.

Yaminomalex

• WHO TOOK MY KEY?
    • View Profile
    • http://yaminomalex.sheezyart.com
Down with eBaums!
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2005, 01:21:00 am »
Cortez, you're so astute are when it comes to making us aware such travesties as this.

Sadly, we are totally aware of this.

Sorry, Isadore.

Lazlo Falconi

• Falconi?
    • View Profile
    • website
Down with eBaums!
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2005, 01:23:20 am »
Now now, no reason to pwn him for doing the right thing.

qualityretro.net