Author Topic: Things that you hate, with examples.  (Read 21617 times)

Swiftman

• Conqueror
    • View Profile
Things that you hate, with examples.
« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2005, 12:35:49 pm »
That's dictionary.com, Lazlo. They do general definitions, not specific nerd-talk.

How degree's of movement in games are defined as the amount of directions you can move in. Mario Kart and F-Zero are two, because, well, left and right. Notice that the ground you're driving on gives no sensation of going up? It looks like a flat plane? It would be four degree's of movement if it did go up. (left, right, up down. The most common for older-newer racing games)

Most FPS's like Unreal Tournament and Halo are 8 degree's of mocement, since you can move up, down left, right, and the diagonals. Descent is 360 degree's of movement, since you can move in ANY freaking direction you want. ANY. Up, down, left, right, forward, backwards, turn left while sliding up, turn right while sliding right, fire lasers while sliding down and turning up, it's all good.

THAT is why I love Descent so much. The freedom of movement is just... astounding. Sure, the 8 degree's of movement in Privateer is good, but.... It's not Descent....

Holy spit, there's more nerd-ism's in there than I care to know.

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2005, 04:04:36 pm »
I'd say Swift is right on with that one.  In Descent you are not glued to the floor, you are able to go to every part of the room  (assuming it's not filled with something harmful) and look at every other part of the room at every angle.

Ever fought upside down on Halo?  I think not.  Surely you'll say that space sims have done it; however, that was the brilliance of Descent.  You're still confined in the level.

That being said, Descent still isn't my favorite game or anything though.
img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/Superpeaches/Avatars/bangaio_sig.jpg[/img]

Lazlo Falconi

• Falconi?
    • View Profile
    • website
« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2005, 06:13:49 pm »
I understand that you can go anywhere, I've played the game. However, Swift, what you're thinking about is directions of movement.
Soon to be a major motion picture!

qualityretro.net

Swiftman

• Conqueror
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2005, 11:35:52 pm »
Lazlo, when have I EVER thought straight?

But yeah, cool thing in Descent is you can mix up floor with cieling, and it wouldn't make a lick of difference.