General > General

another introductory page

<< < (3/3)

protoman:
welcome to the forum.

as for the compression, unfortunately, even bzip2 (the most powerful compression algorithm i know of) only compressed a test file to be about two percent smaller than the original. granted, on dialup, such minute gains would matter, but for me, it does not make sense to put my valuable time into things like that when i could be acquiring totally new music. (my time is valuable in the sense that thousands of people benefit every time i do some work on the site.)

Kagemitsu:
Okay. Thanks for the replies, people!
to protoman: The dos-zip format was .arj, and it was really good. You could customize how big you wanted the compressed fiel to be and stuff like that. And true, it did take quite a bit of CPU power to work, but that was back when the 586 was uber good, so now with pentiums it shouldn't be too bad.

Also, is there any sort of way to put a .zip file into a .rar file or seomthing like that? double compress?

Herb:
I dont know if thats possible. If it was everybody would compress things until they're only 1kb or something (not really possible but itd be cool)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version