Author Topic: Load This  (Read 4869 times)

Swiftman

• Conqueror
    • View Profile
Load This
« on: September 04, 2005, 08:05:48 pm »
Today I read something most....... Interesting.

Quote from: "Steve Tilley"
When the original Half-life came out in 1999 – good lord, ahs it been that long? – I sacrificed many, many otherwise productive hours playing multiplayer deathmatch online. I still have the layouts of classic maps like Crossfire, Bounce, Datacore, and Boot Camp taking up valuable space in the folds of my brain, even though it’s been years since I stalked their virtual corridors.
Well, looks like that knowledge is going to come in handy again. According to 1up.com, Valve is preparing a slightly graphically tweaked version of the original Half-life deathmatch experience to Half-life 2 owners, using the company’s software download service, Steam.
The updated version of Half-Life’s deathmatch mode will include 11 of the classic multiplayer maps that us old-schoolers know and love, and should be out in a matter of weeks. It’s kind of pathetic just how much this news excites me. No, actually, it’s REALLY pathetic.

-Steve Tilley, Game for Anything, Edmonton Sun, Sunday September 4

If he thinks that being able to play old Half-Life maps in Half-life 2 is pathetic, then what would he say to someone like me, someone who plays age-old games like Descent and Phantasy Star on a regular basis still? If it's considered pathetic to play old maps on a new game, then how are old maps in old games that came out before PATCHES even dammit?

How am I looked upon in the gaming Community? Is TPH amongst the last places for acceptance of my kind on the internet? Not even at the Planet Descent forums are old Descent players that common. They're mostly Descent 3 fanboys that haven't even played the original at all! And that's on a Descent Shrine site!

Am I just some old person in a young body that should be allowed to exit me? Should I stop playing old games and let that part of me wither and die out? Would it make TPH the better place if I did?

I'm leaning on yes.........

Trigger

• View Profile
    • http://s11.invisionfree.com/Megaman_The_Legend/index.php?act=idx
Load This
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2005, 08:16:03 pm »
EMO'D AGAIN

You wanna stop, you do that. If you find something better, go for it.

But if you still like playing Descent, then you shouldn't stop. Not for anything. Do what you want, not what the world wants you to do.
url=http://s11.invisionfree.com/Megaman_The_Legend/index.php?act=idx] Come check it out! ;O[/url]
Skull says:
I'm just to damn 1337 for hell.

Lazlo Falconi

• Falconi?
    • View Profile
    • website
Load This
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2005, 08:20:36 pm »
I like the hardcore Descent fanboy. I mean, you're having fun, so why not keep playing, eh?
Soon to be a major motion picture!

qualityretro.net

Swiftman

• Conqueror
    • View Profile
Load This
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2005, 08:29:09 pm »
True, I'm the Swiftman. When have I cared for personal image?

But ti really doesn't make you feel good if you're a goody goody two shoes like me and you keep thinking "What would Triffo say if he saw me playing a game this old?" Much as I hate Triffo, he DOES know how to get friends.

Lazlo Falconi

• Falconi?
    • View Profile
    • website
Load This
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2005, 08:31:00 pm »
Oh, and you don't?

qualityretro.net

Swiftman

• Conqueror
    • View Profile
Load This
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2005, 08:33:45 pm »
Rewording....

He knows how to be accepted into a group. he's one of those 'popular kids' and a total snob about it, but you have to respect his ability to maintain about 30 friends. I could at max maintain 5, then they all moved and died on me..... Bleh. v_v

Lazlo Falconi

• Falconi?
    • View Profile
    • website
Load This
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2005, 08:40:15 pm »
Looks around. Peh, don't talk to me about being a loser. At least you have friends to go dieing on you.

qualityretro.net

Swiftman

• Conqueror
    • View Profile
Load This
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2005, 08:55:01 pm »
Like that's any better, Laz....

Lazlo Falconi

• Falconi?
    • View Profile
    • website
Load This
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2005, 08:56:35 pm »
Enough of this pity party. Just remember, wherever ya go, there ya are!

qualityretro.net

Antha

• View Profile
Load This
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2005, 03:24:49 am »
Quote from: "Lazlo Falconi"
Enough of this pity party. Just remember, wherever ya go, there ya are!

That all makes very little sence to all of us Lazlo... you have sufficiantly proved to me that you make hardley any sence at all. Kudos.

NeoCalculus

• View Profile
Load This
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2005, 03:35:13 am »
Hey, people have called my an old man in a young man's body.  Enjoy it, embrace it.  It makes you unique.  Hell, my all time favorite game is Godzilla, Monstar of Monstars on the NES.  Its now almost 20 years old, but that game still rocks hardcore.
Chainsaw hands and text based sigs for great justice.

Lazlo Falconi

• Falconi?
    • View Profile
    • website
Load This
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2005, 08:58:14 am »
Buckaroo Banzai doesn't lie, Antha.

qualityretro.net

jv2k

• View Profile
Load This
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2005, 11:14:17 am »
Quote from: "Lazlo Falconi"
Looks around. Peh, don't talk to me about being a loser. At least you have friends to go dieing on you.

Tis the truth, just look at me for proof. Tis a sad existance to have no one.
quote="kefka"] < had sex with a lepper, got a burning sensation around the scrotom followed by erosion and itching.[/quote]
JOIN THE SITE OR PONIES WILL EAT YOUR FLESH!!