Author Topic: Music Rotation  (Read 12351 times)

protoman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • TPH
Music Rotation
« on: April 02, 2005, 12:38:59 am »
Hey everyone,

Due to the massive influx of awesome new music (woot!), I'm going to have to implement a rotating scheme to keep the server from exploding and nuking Houston (and my wallet). It was already going over its bandwidth allowance every month, and I really couldn't sustain that any longer anyway. So, if you missed what you were looking for, please just come back tomorrow or the next day and it'll be back up.

Thanks for your understanding.

btw: if you have no idea what I'm talking about, check out the Music section.

neothe0ne

• View Profile
Music Rotation
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2005, 05:33:32 am »
It's understood.

You could also set up a PayPal account for us to donate to, or could add more ads ;)  (I can't see ads because I'm using a mix of Norton Internet Security 2005, SpySweeper 2, Firefox, and Spybot Search and Destroy.  Spybot and Firefox are free, and there are other free replacements for Norton that eradicate ads)
agerly anticipating:
Super Smash Bros. Revolution, Metroid Prime 3, Zelda: Twilight Princess, and last but not least, DDR SuperNOVA!

Herb

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/djmichaelhrebenak
Music Rotation
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2005, 08:44:07 am »
yea adding more adds doesnt seem like a bad idea

i think a lot of people have some sort of ad blocking software so it wouldnt really get it the way of enjoying the site

p.s. if you don't have anything to prevent pop-ups id recommend geting the following (for free)

www.download.com
download Ad-Aware (by Lavasoft)
download Spybot Search and Destroy
download the Pop-Up Stopper by Panicware

then go to www.snarf-it.org
you can get Norton Antivirus and whatnot all for free, plus all sorts of upgrades (ex getting Ad-Aware pro)
img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a39/msheresy/nnotld.gif[/img]

"Being more than an hour late for your first day of work is a fucking power move. Let them know right from the start how you roll."

protoman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • TPH
Music Rotation
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2005, 10:52:36 am »
i've already tried pretty much all the ad stuff i know of, but thanks for the thoughts. the problem is that bandwidth overages are incredibly expensive ... supposedly would be in the neighborhood of $30 a day if they actually had been charging me, and they could start at any time. therefore, the only real solution is to reduce bandwidth use. but i think this ought to take care of it.

i'll record gunstar heroes today (for posting tomorrow) and see if i can't get the x7 and x8 stuff up today, as well.

Swiftman

• Conqueror
    • View Profile
Music Rotation
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2005, 08:11:18 pm »
GUNSTAR HEROES! WOO! (didn't even read the part on x7 and x8)

If you made a paypal thing and once I get a credit card, I'd donate as much as I could. Sites like this don't come at all often, and it'd be a shame if it had downtime.

protoman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • TPH
Music Rotation
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2005, 08:31:40 pm »
speaking of - gunstar heroes is done. unfortunately, due to the new system, everyone will have to wait until monday to get it, but trust me ... it's worth the wait a thousand times over.

as for the site, please don't worry about it going anywhere. i can divide the games up into as many groups as necessary to keep it running, rather than give up (i mean, it's been here 99% of the time since 1996 ... it's not going anywhere ;P). but, i don't think even that will be necessary, as i am looking at a way to never have to worry about bandwidth again.

Trigger

• View Profile
    • http://s11.invisionfree.com/Megaman_The_Legend/index.php?act=idx
Music Rotation
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2005, 08:53:37 pm »
I think this is acually a pretty neat sollution to a bandwidth problem. I've got all the time in the world to wait for a song. So i've got no complaint. And if I could....I would send money to you EVERYDAY!
url=http://s11.invisionfree.com/Megaman_The_Legend/index.php?act=idx] Come check it out! ;O[/url]
Skull says:
I'm just to damn 1337 for hell.

Herb

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/djmichaelhrebenak
Music Rotation
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2005, 10:01:22 pm »
Yea same here, this site is too important to lose
img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a39/msheresy/nnotld.gif[/img]

"Being more than an hour late for your first day of work is a fucking power move. Let them know right from the start how you roll."

protoman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • TPH
Music Rotation
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2005, 10:02:19 pm »
thanks, and thanks. ;)

i originally used the idea on metroid2002.com in march and april of 2004, when i used to host speed runs there (before speed demos archive got unlimited access to the internet archive for hosting). so, i'm pretty confident it will be successful.

Pirate Cortez

• View Profile
Music Rotation
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2005, 06:07:45 pm »
Quote from: "Herb"
Yea same here, this site is too important to lose

I agree.

W00t for GUNSTAR HEROES MUSIC!!!!!!
eft.

protoman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • TPH
Music Rotation
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2005, 02:58:33 am »
UPDATE: now you can use bit torrent to get even those tracks that supposedly aren't available! just be sure to leave your client open after you're done downloading so other people might benefit from your spare bandwidth ...

Volt Catfish

Music Rotation
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2005, 03:59:12 pm »
What is the Music Schedule?

protoman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • TPH
Music Rotation
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2005, 04:31:14 pm »
one group per day, so the next group is tomorrow, the group furthest away is the day after tomorrow.