Author Topic: Random social project of mine  (Read 3266 times)

Swiftman

• Conqueror
    • View Profile
Random social project of mine
« on: January 13, 2006, 03:47:08 pm »
Like I said, random social project of mine.

A Quick Katamari on the Rocks.
[title does not adhere to story at all]

By: Devon “Swift” Kirk
To: Mr. Sw33t

â€œListen, the world isn’t as well off as you may think.”

She just looked back at me, with the perfect look of innocence on her face.

â€œYou may not realize it, but there are hundreds of millions of people in the world that are starving, yet there’s more than enough food to go around.”

She spoke to me, with such a naïve voice “Then why don’t we just share?”

I blinked a couple times. “I… Don’t know. But still! The population on Earth has more than tripled since 1920, and almost 80 percent of the growth is in countries that can’t handle this increase!”

â€œHow come so many are born if they can’t feed their kids?”

â€œI…” I stuttered. “I don’t know. But that’s not it! Tourism is one of the largest industries in the world, and with so many people flying planes, more air pollution is made!”

â€œWhat’s wrong with boats?”

â€œToo slow for people, I think. They want to get there fast.”

â€œThen just leave early, and you’ll get there the same time!”

I nodded slowly. There was very simple, effective logic going through her head.

â€œBut, the supply of oil in the world is running short quickly, and by 2040 we’re probably going to run out of it. Oil and gas account for almost 80 percent of the world’s energy!”

â€œWhat about electricity?”

â€œThat’s how we make a lot of it, is with burning gas in generators.”

â€œWhy?”

â€œIt’s how you can make electricity fastest.”

â€œWhy not just make a whole lot of solar panels everywhere? One on every house!” her voice grew more and more excited as she went on. “You could make big fields of them to power the cities!”

â€œBut it costs a lot to make those solar panels?”

â€œBut I thought oil was really expensive too?”

I bit my lip. She had me there… Stop buying oil and use electricity for everything?

â€œWell… Solar panels don’t make that much! There’s still other forms of power, like hydrogen, nuclear, wind, hydro power…”

â€œWhat’s wrong with using those too?”

â€œNuclear reactors, while they are pollution free, have a chance at having a meltdown, which would cause lots of damage around it.”

â€œIsn’t gas really bad for the enviro-ment too?”

I raised an eyebrow at her. “Yeeeeaaahhh…. But you would have to put a nuclear power plant right near a city to get the power to the city, though.”

â€œBut cars drive all over cities!”

I coughed. “That’s not the point! Those big landfills that you bring garbage to release off bad gasses into the atmosphere and pollute the ground!”

â€œDon’t they burn garbage sometimes?”

â€œYes, but that releases off even more bad gasses!”

â€œBut then you’re only polluting the air, not the ground!” She said with a small smile.

â€œWeeelll….” I switched to another topic. “In China there’s big waste fields of computers that let off poisonous gas into the air. Even worse is they hire young girls to look for computer chips, and only pay them a dollar an hour for it.” I forgot where I was going with that, so I moved on. “Recycling is an even better solution to incinerating or throwing away, but people throw away a lot of recyclables, and they can’t hire enough people to sift through garbage to get the recyclable things!”

â€œIs it bad to bring in those people that look for computer chips to look through garbage instead? You could even pay them better!”

â€œYou could do that, couldn’t you…”

â€œSee? It doesn’t take much!”

She was very right. If a mere child could think of the solutions, then why had the government not done something before now? It couldn’t be so difficult of a concept, would it?

[yes, this was handed in]

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 09:48:10 pm »
Sad, yet true...
URL=http://s15.invisionfree.com/CJF_Network][/URL]

Swiftman

• Conqueror
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 02:06:30 am »
I got the mark back on this the other day.

14/18

mainly because one of the facts can easily be answered on the solving of it, but I didn't know it at the time.

Ah well. He called it an interesting approach, since it was supposed to be done in point form, but I did it like a story.

I'm crazy.

Lazlo Falconi

• Falconi?
    • View Profile
    • website
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 02:07:44 am »
Quote from: "Swifto"
Mainly because one of the facts can easily be answered on the solving of it, but I didn't know it at the time.

This sentance makes no sense.
Soon to be a major motion picture!

qualityretro.net

Swiftman

• Conqueror
    • View Profile
Re: Random social project of mine
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 02:11:40 am »
Quote from: "Swiftman"
“You may not realize it, but there are hundreds of millions of people in the world that are starving, yet there’s more than enough food to go around.”

She spoke to me, with such a naïve voice “Then why don’t we just share?”

I blinked a couple times. “I… Don’t know. But still! The population on Earth has more than tripled since 1920, and almost 80 percent of the growth is in countries that can’t handle this increase!”

â€œHow come so many are born if they can’t feed their kids?”

â€œI…” I stuttered. “I don’t know. But that’s not it! Tourism is one of the largest industries in the world, and with so many people flying planes, more air pollution is made!”

Those have easy answers, not just "I don't knows." So i found out later.

Lazlo Falconi

• Falconi?
    • View Profile
    • website
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2006, 02:17:52 am »
Aah, I see. Example fro teh win.
Soon to be a major motion picture!

qualityretro.net