Author Topic: An extremely forgotten game  (Read 9906 times)

Swiftman

• Conqueror
    • View Profile
An extremely forgotten game
« on: May 03, 2005, 12:38:12 pm »
I know this isn't the place to ask for names of games, but I'm desperate. I NEED to find this game.

I remember... back when I was young, very young... (ten years ago, or before) I remember this game that my brother played. I'll try to list some specs of it:

supposed name: The Germinan Project this is a rough guess)
genre: sci-fi RPG/real picture (like night trap)
platform: CD game, most definetly dos
rating: definetly before the making of ESRB, but it wasn't a kids game, for sure
Point of view: First person

The gameplay was different from most other games. Every frame was pre-rendered 3D, but it looked like an actual picture. Each frame was still, and when you turned it went immediatly to another picture (which leads me to believe it wasn't a 3D game, because it would have been simple to rotate the picture if it was true 3D) When you moved forward it went immediatly to another frame, but the object you're moving to looks closer. The game was set in the future, and I think it was in a really big spaceship because I remember scens in a boiler room like thing, but I also remember a ship you could take that led to a dsert planet (maybe? I don't know.)
The main character had a terminator-esque look to him, though you could only see him in the bathroom mirror. I remember being able to do stuff to objects within reach, like flush the toilet, turn on lights, turn on sink, or open the medicine cabinet. The game started in your dormitory/living quarters kinda place, with the bed and bathroom and stuff. Then it goes blank (my memory) and I remember seeing a spaceship dock like thing, where you could go on the ship that went to a desert world (I THINK. I have no definite clue though.) but, one thing that was cool about the game was the robots.
Apparently three robots have been rampaging across the spaceship, killing everyone in sight and disposing of the bodies. There were three in all. They all looked like the big robot from lost in space. One ravagly raced towards you, not looking for anything in the way, one was slower but smarter, and the last one left you alone. One scene I remember (not all of it was still frame.The robots moved.) was the good robot walking along (the footsteps sounded wickedly cool!) and it walks to you in a four way hallway, turns to look at you, then continues on it's way. Another robot I remember was the slow smart one. You were in a boiler room full of heat and steam (like that one place in metal gear solid) and you had to figure out a pattern code to continue through a door. But, the robot was right behind you, making his way slowly towards you. If you failed to fugure the code out, I remember a 1 second beep, then a comic book like image of the robot gripping you at the neck and holding you up real high up. This picture always appeared when he caught up to you. I don't rememebr much on the fast robot, other than you have to fight him in one scene. You finally get a defelctor shield generator and a laser gun, so you can finally fight it. The battle was like a turn based battle, but the robot didn't wait for your attack to attack. If you left the controls, he fired on, but you could fire at any rate you wanted to. And if you had to, I rememebr you could put on a space suit and opent eh airlock after tieing youself down, and the robot would be 'lost in space'.
But, it couldn't have been comepletely on teh space ship. I remember one scene where you were in a city, and if you stood on the tracks long enough, a train would come and smack into you, inducing another second long beep and another comic book like image.

If anyone can give me ANY clues to this game, I will appreciate it so much it'll make your nose bleed. (so to say.) I seem to think that Protoman would know it, since he would've been around the time it came out (1994, I think) or anyone over 20.

Thanks in advance.

Broadus

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 10:40:13 pm »
Man, I wish I knew. Sounds interesting. But creepy and lonely and stuff and not really my kind of game.

Swiftman

• Conqueror
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2005, 09:56:29 am »
I want it more because of the fact that I played it when I was six. (a whole ten years ago! I NEED nostalgia at my age!)
If Anyone has ANY freakin clue or hint on this game, PLEASE SHARE! I really feckin wanna know solid facts on this game, even if I never play it ever again. I jsut wanna be sure on it.

Lazlo Falconi

• Falconi?
    • View Profile
    • website
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2005, 03:59:40 pm »
Just checked the DOS Game Archive, no "The Germinan Project" to be found. That's too bad because it sounded cool.
Soon to be a major motion picture!

qualityretro.net

the_broom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2005, 09:05:25 pm »
The dos games archive pales in comparison to www.abandonia.com
and so you know, "The Germinan Project" is just what we think it's called. It is by no means correct. And anyways, we put it in the game search at www.gamefaqs.com and in all possible ways it could be arranged. Germinan project, the and Project, Germinan the and the project, Germinan and so on and so on. We even tried "The Jerminan Project", "The Gherminan Project", and the like. Swift remembers the name of the game by sound only.
Say hello to Germinan revival staff member #2! I'm the first person Swift converted to help find this lost game of his.
img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/Swiftman/villians.jpg[/img]

Bladegash

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tetris.com
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2005, 12:59:13 am »
Well, GameFAQs doesn't seem to have only a 'DOS' section, so here's every PC game with Project in its name. Maybe it's a start?

http://www.gamefaqs.com/search/index.html?platform=5&game=project
ric!

Swiftman

• Conqueror
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2005, 10:09:09 am »
That didn't quite seem to work, Bladegash. Thanks anyways. I've also put just project in there, but I can only search 50 games, and thus haven't had any luck.

Bladegash

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2005, 03:53:59 pm »
Oops, a random tag got stuck at the end of the post. It might work now, since there's less than 50 games in that list.
ric!

the_broom

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2005, 06:09:18 pm »
huh... well, that's the pc search. Would it work for dos games? I don't know. I hope this ain't true. Me an' Swift have slaved for long hours trying to get as many clues we could find...

Thanks anyways, Bladegash.
img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/Swiftman/villians.jpg[/img]

Sophih

• View Profile
    • http://www.divisionofhardcoresamples.com/
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2005, 04:59:09 pm »
What's DOS
quote]Me... See...[/quote]

Bladegash

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2005, 07:17:44 pm »
http://www.google.com/search?q=What%27s+DOS

The wonders of Google strike again.

And also, all the Windows/DOS games are combined into the single 'PC' category at GameFAQs, for whatever reason.
ric!

Broadus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2005, 11:55:22 pm »
BWHAHAHAHAHAH!
I've found it! (I was literally giggling with excitement when I made my discovery.)
"The Journeyman Project" 1992 (1993?), Turbo! 1994
It's first person (I looked up pictures), looks futuristic and is old. TADA!
Work off that and see what it brings ya'!

By the way...
I discovered this by going to www.gamespot.com searching for "project" and looking for old games that were for a computer... system... thing. Took me just a few minutes.

Because I suddenly became interested in the game (not playing it, I just wanted to know about it) I read some reviews and a walkthrough. All three robots happen to be quite murderous and evil. The robots are in three seperate locations. There are many, many ways to die horribly.

http://www.adventurecollective.com/reviews/journeymanproject.htm These Adventure Collective people seem to have a lot of info on games like this.

Swiftman

• Conqueror
    • View Profile
wOOt!!!1!
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2005, 11:08:28 am »
DUDE! THAT IS TOTALLY IT! THANKS A WHOLE BUNCH, GUY!
I didn't expect to find it or nothing. I just wanted to know about it and put my soul at rest.
THANKS GUY! I can't thank you enough!

Broadus

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2005, 10:25:52 pm »
Money would be nice!
Hehe...
Or not.

Swiftman

• Conqueror
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2005, 10:26:57 pm »
I'd send you some, but I don't have any myself.
I need a job...