General > General Games

New Nintendo Characters?

(1/1)

RetroJape:
Taken from Wii Blog: http://www.wiiblog.net/

--- Quote ---Those of you who think Nintendo should have more original characters should be happy with the news below.

According to an interview with the San Jose Mercury News, Nintendo’s Shigeru Miyamoto, who has a big influence on popular Nintendo franchises such as Zelda and Mario games, said that Nintendo will release a video game next year with a cast of all new characters.

He was quoted in Nintendojo’s article saying, “maybe next year sometime, we may have new characters in the same way we came up with Pikmin when we introduced the GameCube.”

Therefore, we do not have any idea yet whether these new characters will be humans (like Mario characters), animals (like Pokemons), or a combination. Maybe the characters will look like aliens from outer space. Who knows?

They may also decide to create more realistic human characters (such as the Zelda games) rather than cartoony human characters (such as Mario games). After all, Nintendo already has a lot of characters targeted toward a young audience. Just play any Smash Bros. game and you can tell that the realistic human characters are highly outnumbered.

One thing that I know of is that this game will get high ratings based on Nintendo’s history of creating new franchise games.
--- End quote ---

It has been a while since we've gotten some new and true Nintendo characters to the family. They hinted that it would make sense if it were a realistic human, with all of the animal-based characters they have. But at the same time, they do animal characters a lot, so this could just be another one of those.

RetroJape:
More on the subject, make of it what you will:

--- Quote ---The first original Nintendo characters since Pikmin could emerge next year.

Dean Takahashi at the Merc landed some quality time with Shigereu Miyamoto for some question and answer chat. They got onto the topic of new characters, which haven’t been seen from Nintendo for several years:

Q: What was interesting to me is that they had about four or so original Wii games. They were original and creative. I expected more of that from Nintendo. You instead have a lot of games based on existing characters or previously known games. I was looking for more next-generation Wii games. Or a second wave of original Wii games. My question along with that is why aren’t you interesting more brand new characters?

A: I guess I don’t necessarily see my job as creating new characters as it is creating new experiences. Recently, Wii Fit is creating the concept and the idea and the feeling behind the game. That has been one of my new creations. For characters, we came up with the concept of the Miis and that allows people to come up with their own characters. Maybe next year sometime, we may have new characters in the same way we came up with Pikmin when we introduced the GameCube.

The Legend also said that in America, the strategy is to make existing franchises “more gorgeous or more complex.” That’s cool too.

Via Mercury News and GamePro[/qoute]
--- End quote ---

protoman:
"lolz nm."

Lazlo Falconi:
MADDEN 09 FUCK YEAH!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version