Author Topic: So, I recently sold my copy of Rockman Megaworld.  (Read 8641 times)

alex cross

• View Profile
So, I recently sold my copy of Rockman Megaworld.
« on: February 08, 2005, 02:43:27 am »
Actually, it was my fourth copy of the game. I had two PAL versions, and two Japanese versions.

I've always loved the Wily Tower game. I was hoping it would be the sixth game that was rumored to be in the GBA MMAC pack, but it's looking more and more like that game is not coming out.

Anyone here like the game?

protoman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • TPH
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2005, 03:14:59 am »
oh my god. you must have seen my feedback on ebay.

what's up, dude; i just got your game here today. there was a problem with rewiring the mode button on my nomad to an english/japanese switch, but that should be cleared up tomorrow, so i will hopefully be able to start recording the music then.

sometime when i get more time (and i'm less sleep deprived) i'll tell the story of why that one particular rockman game is more important than all others to me and to this site (and to all the sites that came later, as well, i guess!).

anyway, way to take care of your game; i was really impressed with the condition the box and the manual were in. just like i bought it used in japan, and that is about the best compliment one could give! time will tell if i find something to do with the manual besides make avatars out of the pictures. ;P

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2005, 12:30:44 pm »
Yeah, I saw the feedback. However, I *swear* I thought I'd been to a site called protoman.com before. However, what I recall is quite different, so I'm not really sure if it was a similar site name, or if you've done an overhaul.

I've never had a Nomad, so  I have no idea how hard it is to mod it for playing foreign games. I always just hook up a Game Genie to my Genesis and use a code to by pass the lockout.

As you can probally tell, I'm a collector of games. At the moment, I'm heavily into playing games that I couldn't play normally in the US. I recently beat Castlevania Rondo of Blood for the PC Engine, and unlocked all fighters in World Fighters (a Smash Bros clone with characters from three different companies so it has characters like Simon Belmont, Solid Snake, and Optimus Prime) for the Gamecube. I'm currently waiting for my copy of Wai Wai Wolrd for the Famicom to come in.

Megaworld/Wily Wars was the game that really got me into the foreign game market. I saw it in a magazine ad when I was a kid, and couldn't understand how a Megaman game could be out for the Genesis (I had no idea as a kid that game companies could make games for whoever they want to :roll: ).

It's interesting to note the differences in this game and their US NES counterparts. Sometimes a few enemies will be added, and some weapons don't quite work the same way....

protoman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • TPH
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2005, 07:50:38 pm »
Quote from: "alex cross"
Yeah, I saw the feedback. However, I *swear* I thought I'd been to a site called protoman.com before. However, what I recall is quite different, so I'm not really sure if it was a similar site name, or if you've done an overhaul.

quite a few overhauls of the site have been done since its inception in 1996 ... i would say at least five or six major ones. does what you remember look like this, this, this or this? if so, then i think we may have a winner. ;)

I've never had a Nomad, so  I have no idea how hard it is to mod it for playing foreign games. I always just hook up a Game Genie to my Genesis and use a code to by pass the lockout.

it's basically just hooking up the japanese jumper to the mode button. instead of emulating a 3-button controller, the mode button changes the language setting. though any game genie code you could supply would be of great use if i can't get the mod to work or if i want to play the game in any of my other genesises for whatever reason (e.g. to record a speed run).

It's interesting to note the differences in this game and their US NES counterparts. Sometimes a few enemies will be added, and some weapons don't quite work the same way....

interesting story about that. i played wily wars back in 1995 on the sega channel and, to make a long story short, i became a mega man fan when i never would have been otherwise (i was a devout sega fanatic at the time. you know, having the sega channel and all).

anyway, as i began to collect nintendo systems and mega man games, i noticed some of those differences ... one of the big ones was whether a metool in top man's stage would make it to a small platform or would fall to the ground in front of you. obviously what to do in that situation would be different (either wait and shoot or run under the platform, jump and shoot), but i could never remember which happened in which game, so i would either run straight into the metool or stand around like an idiot while it did nothing threatening.

another one i remember is just before the "guts-dozer" or whatever in wily's castle in mm2. the cannon enemies with legs you see just before the boss are safe to run right up to in either the wily wars or in the original, but in the other version, you have to jump in order for their shots to miss you. of course, i can't remember which is which for that one, either. ;P

EDIT: disregard about the game genie codes; i've found them myself. thanks for the heads up, though!

alex cross

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2005, 11:23:57 pm »
Ah, the last of the three looks like what I recall.

I remember that the Magnet Missles work differently. In the NES 3, they homed in only on enemies while in this game they also home in on enemy shots. It makes using the Magnet Missles against Hard Man almost usless.

I also recall that any weapon that fires over the top of the screen disappears. It makes using the Search Snake on Wily at the end a real pain. Ah well, Top Spin works much better anyway.