Author Topic: An interesting little essay-esque  (Read 2156 times)

Swifto

An interesting little essay-esque
« on: November 18, 2005, 02:42:36 pm »
Quote from: "Asrale of Planet Descent"
Feigning Words
When you stop to think about it, a lot of people tend to feign interest in each other by their words, especially in the USA. You gotta stop to hear people talk to "get it." The other day I realized Americans say tons of things every single day that they don't even really mean to say. For example, there's a standard greeting of "Hi, how are you?" Who doesn't say that in a day? But the question is, do you really care about how the other person is doing? 9 times out of 10, you don't, and couldn't care less even. Maybe it's an ugly person you don't want to look at. Or you can't stand them and just have to be polite. Yet the moronic greeting goes on every day. Only the most extroverted of people go out of their way to meet new people and talk to others they already know. There's also the insipid remark we have to say upon hearing of someone's passing away. "Oh, I'm so sorry." Sorry for what? In most cases you don't even know the person alive let alone the dead one. And even if you do know one (or both), most of the time it's said just for the sake of saying, not because it's honestly meant. These are just two examples. Americans have mastered it, using "feigning words" at every turn. It's sad, really.
--Asrale

Bladegash

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tetris.com
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 02:46:42 pm »
I'd give it a 12. Too short and lacking in organization. Captain Obvious already touched on this subject in his essays of yesteryear.
ric!

Swifto

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2005, 02:48:14 pm »
It's just a little soupe du jour that Asrale put up on PD. Not meant to be a real essay....

Lazlo Falconi

• Falconi?
    • View Profile
    • website
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2005, 04:24:00 pm »
Well, in all reality, whever I say these things I mean them, unless I'm at work. In which case I really couldn't care less.
Soon to be a major motion picture!

qualityretro.net