Author Topic: How exactly do you record the songs?  (Read 19084 times)

Superyoshi

• Guidance System
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://superyoshi.sheezyart.com
How exactly do you record the songs?
« on: February 05, 2005, 10:34:36 pm »
Especially that you don't use an emulator to rip WAVs.  It's been confusing me for a few days now.  Mind telling us how you get all these songs?

mugenmidget

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://radio.emulationzone.org/chan9/
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2005, 12:29:08 am »
It's really simple, anyone can do it with a few "extra tools."

At Radio Shack and other electronics stores, you can get a cable that takes the red and white stereo analog input cables (sometimes referred to as RCA cables) and converts them into a headphone stereo jack.  

However, he may be using his capture card software.  These are usually a bit more expensive and also come with the bonus of recording video input.

You can learn more about capture cards at www.videohelp.com.
ye-ly!

protoman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • TPH
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2005, 01:20:08 am »
for the genesis stuff, i use my nomad running on battery power (least noise of any genesis unit) and record using an 1/8" stereo miniplug male to 1/8" stereo miniplug male cable (the same thing on both ends) which plugs into my sound card. i use cool edit pro 2.0 to record, denoise (there is still some noticeable noise in the recording, even though it's from a nomad) and then normalize it (to make sure it's nice and loud). mp3 encoding is done on my mac with itunes, but i imagine itunes for windows would behave exactly the same way in that regard.

stuff from the snes, saturn etc uses the cable or adapter m.midget was talking about that goes from rca audio (red and white) to 1/8" stereo miniplug.

most of the stuff in the most recent update that wasn't just ripped from cd (so the rockman complete works music) probably involves the most complicated process of all. there is a set of utilites called psxvideo, and in that set of utilities is a program called xaex.exe (try saying that five times fast). this program is able to talk directly to your cd-rom hardware to copy the normally off-limits bgm.xa file off of the game disc onto your hard drive. the reason it has to do this is because the .xa file is written in what's called mode 2, or "xa" (extended architecture) format. if windows or os x or whatever tries to copy the file, it can't do it, because it's expecting it to be a mode 1 file. the catch to all this is that you have to have actual dos running on your computer, not windows nt or otherwise emulated dos. this means you need windows 3.1, 95 or 98 in order to use the program. nt, 2000 and xp just won't work.

anyway, once you have the file off, you can use some of the other utilities in the package to extract the waveforms inside the xa file. usually the xas are eight tracks (numbered 0-7), so eight different wave files pop out. then it's time to use cool edit pro to separate the different songs inside each track. sometimes there is only one song per track, but even then the song will go on for like six or seven minutes, and get really boring, so i make it a policy to start a 10 second fade at the second repeat (so the third iteration) of every song. you will notice that this rule applies for virtually all of the newer-sounding stuff on the site.

hope that answers your question.

Superyoshi

• Guidance System
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2005, 01:26:28 am »
Wow, thanks!  Maybe now I can finally record things from my SNES games (Kirby Super Star, Super Mario All Stars etc.).  Too bad I don't have a Nomad, though (Oh, how I wanted that so badly as a kid).  I'm just stuck with my regular ol' Genesis.

Swiftman

• Conqueror
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2005, 11:22:59 pm »
Oh! Kirby superstar would make a very good addition to tph!

Superyoshi

• Guidance System
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2005, 04:42:43 pm »
Yeah, too bad my game erased a while ago so I no longer have the sound test.  I still need that cable, too.

Gemini Man

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2005, 05:39:42 pm »
Quote from: "Swiftman"
Oh! Kirby superstar would make a very good addition to tph!

Especially considering that it isn't on any sites (that I know of at least).
Gemini Man

protoman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • TPH
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2005, 07:35:02 pm »
too bad i don't own it. :/

mugenmidget

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://radio.emulationzone.org/chan9/
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2005, 07:39:16 pm »
Quote from: "protoman"
too bad i don't own it. :/

I own the game, so I could honestly do it if ripping it with the RCA audio to stereo headphone cable would be good enough.
ye-ly!

protoman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • TPH
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2005, 08:03:35 pm »
we can talk on aim about it. i don't see why not, assuming your sound hardware is good enough.

neo/zero

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2005, 07:31:27 pm »
I bought a RadioShack Gold Series Y-adapter plug today.  You can connect a red and white audio plug into it, and the other end of the adapter plugs into the computer's line-in slot (it's usually blue).  Right now, I'm recording a few things off my GameCube that I haven't been able to download, but unfortunately my SNES broke a while ago so I can't record from that :(.  (btw, the GameCube 3-AV plug things works with the SNES AND N64, it's the same shape plug on all three consoles)

protoman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • TPH
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2005, 10:27:24 pm »
indeed. it's best to buy one, high-quality s-video cable (e.g. for your gamecube), and then use it with your n64 and snes. i know that's what i do. ;P

Protoman84

berryauto784
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2005, 01:44:48 pm »
I bought the cable but it had only male ends, so I had to buy two female units so I could plug the male units on each end, any ways the end of the Y adapter is in my microphone jack on my computer, how exactly do I get the music from the SNES cartridge?

neothe0ne

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2005, 04:24:56 pm »
Bad, bad!  Nothing but a microphone belongs in the microphone port!  There are usually three audio ports in the back of your computer.  The blue one should be line-in, and your adapter should plug into there.  Then, you need a nice sound recorder like Cool Edit Pro or Sound Forge.  Go to volume control and select Line-in as the recording method.  Then record and save.
agerly anticipating:
Super Smash Bros. Revolution, Metroid Prime 3, Zelda: Twilight Princess, and last but not least, DDR SuperNOVA!

Zero3778

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2005, 08:32:40 pm »
Heh if all else fails, get an mp3 player that can record stuff, and use that like i do  :D
img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v115/zero3778/zerosig.jpg[/img]