Author Topic: Tutorial to using BitTorrent  (Read 10566 times)

neothe0ne

• View Profile
Tutorial to using BitTorrent
« on: July 04, 2005, 03:33:46 pm »
BitTorrent is a special peer-to-peer filesharing program.  Unlike other P2P clients like Kazaa, Shareaza, and Limewire, BitTorrent does not have a search engine.  You download files through BitTorrent by loading Torrent files.  These files contain the filenames and special hashes for the files you want to download, as well as the tracker from which the Torrent runs.  Trackers track all activity on a Torrent so your client knows where to download from and where to upload to.

BitTorrent, like most other P2P networks, has an official client and many unofficial clients.  You can find the official BitTorrent client at http://www.bittorrent.com/.  If you are new to BitTorrent (why else would you be reading this guide? ;)), I strongly recommend you use the official client.  The client I use for Torrents is Azureus, located at http://azureus.sourceforge.net/download.php.  This client is much more customizable than the official client, but also requires more configuration and is not for beginners.

When you open a Torrent using your client, you will be asked where you want to download to.  If the Torrent is downloading a single file, you will be asked to save the file in a directory.  If the Torrent is downloading a folder, like the torrents on this site, you will be asked where to save the directory to.

After setting the download location, the Torrent will start up.  It will try to connect to the Tracker and then try to download from the seeders.  Once you download a portion of the files, you will begin to seed to other people.  Note that you can not properly use any files downloaded through Torrents until after the download finishes.  It's common courtesy to leave your Torrent open after your download finishes so you can seed to other people, and you should always seed more than you leech.  You should also remember that if you limit your upload speed, your download speed will also be proportionally limited, regardless of how you limit your uploads.

Hopefully this will clear up any and all problems you have about Torrents.
agerly anticipating:
Super Smash Bros. Revolution, Metroid Prime 3, Zelda: Twilight Princess, and last but not least, DDR SuperNOVA!

Lazlo Falconi

• Falconi?
    • View Profile
    • website
Tutorial to using BitTorrent
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2005, 01:56:57 am »
I notice you mentioned Shareaza, if any of you already have this, you're set for BitTorrent, and it's pretty easy if you're already used to it.
One more thing, just so you know, leeching is when you download a torrent, but don't seed it. I have yet to come across a BT downloader that allows this, but they're apparently there.
Soon to be a major motion picture!

qualityretro.net