Author Topic: An odd question (guess it can be a request, why not?)  (Read 8658 times)

Seeker

• View Profile
An odd question (guess it can be a request, why not?)
« on: November 20, 2005, 03:28:26 pm »
Ah well first I wish to note, Im new here. 'Sup?

Beyond that

I noticed you ripped final fantasy 7 in 4 ways and yet unlike other PC music rips none of them are mp3

Normally that wouldnt bother me if windows XP doesnt automatically play midis on windows media player without asking me first.

So if you take  this as a request, if possible can it be a mp3? if we stay on original topic can someone tell me how this whole thing transpired? (for the illiterate I simplify as, how there can be 4 complete rips and all be midi)

ps, before anyone asks why this is written when actually i do get to hear the songs even if auto-played.. the reason is because I create playlists of songs that repeat, where windows media player only plays the one song at a time and has to have the "play" clicked at end of song, which gives me hours of time on computer without music.  

^_^ thanks
hould not I perish for such a follysome post?

Credit for avatar goes to swift ^_^;; Thanks.

Superyoshi

• Guidance System
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://superyoshi.sheezyart.com
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 04:05:56 pm »
Well, if I recall correctly, the PC version of FF VII had just MIDIs.

My best suggestion is to just google the original soundtrack that used Playstation's synth.  Trust me, it won't be hard to find.  If I remembered the site I got it off of, I'd tell ya, but that was almost two years ago, heh.

Swiftman

• Conqueror
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 04:11:56 pm »
First o' all, Seeker. Please stay on the TPH forums. Please. New people are always welcome, and you seem very adept at the art of foruming. [no lol omfg stuff]

Simple. Get Winamp. It has different midi 'engines' in it, just configure and you can get a whole bunch of differnent sounds from midi's.

Example, I can play Descent midi's normally, still sounds great, but if I choose the winamp midi player "midiOut/Creative S/W Synth", it sounds exactly like it does when I play the game itself [far better]

Though that's just a suggestion, you don't have to heed it.

Another is to get the program Audacity, which can record midi specific and export to mp3. Another suggestion, one that may help.

Hope this was of SOME use.

And please, stay. Your callsign is great.

Lazlo Falconi

• Falconi?
    • View Profile
    • website
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 04:24:37 pm »
I too, would suggest WinAmp, but if you already have it, and your MIDIs still play in Windows Media Player, then open up My Computer and click Tools > Folder Options, then go to the File Extensions tab and look for MIDI, then click Change, and Winamp should be in the list of reccomended programs, if not, you'll have to click Browse... and go to the Winamp folder.
Soon to be a major motion picture!

qualityretro.net

neothe0ne

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2005, 07:26:02 pm »
Seeker.. the "you" you're addressing would be me :)

There are actually five "ways" to rip Final Fantasy VII for the PC, but only four of them are complete.  That is because Eidos made four different sets of MIDIs, one of which is for general computers, one of which is for a special synth driver that only worked on Windows 98, one of which was designed for a special soundcare (the AWE64), and one of which was left on the disc and isn't part of the game's configuration settings.  The fifth way is to simply take the seven SFX Waves off the setup disc ;)

I don't believe in converting MIDI files to MP3 and calling it a "gamerip" for other people to download.  I find that to be quite simply wrong... not least of all because my integrated sound may suck compared to what someone else has.

I also strongly recommend you switch your music player from Windows Media Player to ANYTHING else.  I also suggest you uninstall it anyways and install a new version of it, because it shouldn't be asking you whether or not you want to play MIDIs.
agerly anticipating:
Super Smash Bros. Revolution, Metroid Prime 3, Zelda: Twilight Princess, and last but not least, DDR SuperNOVA!

Swiftman

• Conqueror
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2005, 08:08:47 pm »
Say, on that midi to mp3 part....

If I record my Descent midi's with the Winamp configuration I mentioned above, so that it sounds exactly as it does in-game, would that count as a gamerip and is submittable on TPH? [the midi's don't sound as good on, say, windows media player, that has no midi player config like Winamp {that I know of}]

So to say, can I record my Descent midi's in Winamp and make them an mp3, then submit on TPH? It sound exactly the same in winamp with that one midi config as it does in the game itself.

Seeker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2005, 05:22:18 am »
Yes swiftman I do believe I will stay, and although with horrific spelling I do try for proper grammor. Although a few chat lingo slips through the crack, a few lol's and a couple chat faces ^_^;; Like such. And yes I am quite mature to the foruming world, theres no better way to internet then a nice good 'ol php board with about 6 regulars and a lot of guests.

As for winamp I do remember an old problem it caused on my old pc, as such I decided to wait until I get a secondary. I am useing musicmatch currently since it keeps the previous track you played wiether you like it or not. (you being the term of neutral anyone can be placed here) although switching the midi play, thanks for showing me that.

superyoshi I agree, check a search engine real quick youll find it.

and

neotheone That does sound like squaresofts work, although odd. (wait, odd is how squaresoft plays, since fully fuctioning multiplatform mp3s were there at that time) and I do agree with the music coverting, even if it doesnt change quality or sound. If it was born midi it should stay as such (until someone comes acrossed my problem and seeks the copy that was converted) else once I place the advice in play I shall be listioning to the midis all the time. (the in-game midis I've heard this far one media player are easily the highest and my personal fave of all the game rips I've heard)

And to reply to all, Windows media player Should burn as we have all certainly stated. But I can't uninstall it yet.

Thank you all for helping

This isn't the last youll hear of seeker

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2005, 08:33:03 am »
CJMErl: I don't think WMP is all THAt bad...*slaps a giant target on his chest*
URL=http://s15.invisionfree.com/CJF_Network][/URL]

Seeker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2005, 09:29:41 am »
Quote from: "CJMErl / Yami CJMErl"
CJMErl: I don't think WMP is all THAt bad...*slaps a giant target on his chest*

depends on the media, with midis not fully saving on the XP system (its merely click and the system reads mirror and plays in wmp) if its mp3's, wmp or most streaming video files (I'm studing to be a computer animater so I have tested a few streaming animations) then it works perfectly and has playlist capabilities, plus it has never messed up my pc or anything

but when it comes to this topic, midi downloads makes wmp suck.

Swiftman

• Conqueror
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2005, 09:42:13 am »
Bad spellnig is moer than welcom heer, Seeker! *shot* so are ^_^ like faces, I make them enough times. So please, you don't have anything wrong with your typing. Heh.

Midi's own in Winamp. WMP, well....... Not so much. I only use it when my Winamp won't work, for whatever reason.

Lazlo Falconi

• Falconi?
    • View Profile
    • website
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2005, 10:14:09 am »
Windows Media Player isn't that bad, espicially compared to Realplayer or Musicmatch. I suggest you switch back. Personally, I prefer Billy, but it doesn't play MIDIs.

qualityretro.net

Seeker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2005, 12:59:07 pm »
well normally Id agree with the musicmatch one but it uses playlists.. which wins currently (not in a second, I found how to save midis on my pc so now if I get off my last arse I can create a huge mega playlist on wmp and just make sure it dont stop)

Lazlo Falconi

• Falconi?
    • View Profile
    • website
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2005, 01:59:21 pm »
Uhm... dude, everything uses playlists...

qualityretro.net

Seeker

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2005, 09:32:06 am »
Quote from: "Lazlo Falconi"
Uhm... dude, everything uses playlists...

except WMP which once downloaded midi starts a new playlist (where musicmatch, as mentioned, adds everything to playlist and keeps it on the playlist wiether you like it or not) so I had to find a way to side-track the auto-download .midi and find a way to save midi to PC before putting it on the playlist (so as to have a playlist with more then 1 song)

Lazlo Falconi

• Falconi?
    • View Profile
    • website
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2005, 10:19:14 am »
Oh, I see what you're saying. One thing you could do is when you download it rightclick the link and press Save As, then just open the folder you saved them to and drag them into WMP.

qualityretro.net